Protect Your Noodle

For us peeps here in Western New York, snow is melting and we are sooooo ready for Spring and warmer temperatures. Outside weather is upon us as well as outdoor activities. The first day the snow melted, my kiddos already had their bikes and scooters out. And then my panic kicks in.


For those who know me, or follow BippityBoppityGlue on Facebook, you may remember that last summer (August 11 to be precise) my 9-year-old, Mya, was involved in an accident with her skateboard. I received a phone call that she fell off her skateboard and hit her head. I monitored via phone calls for a bit but had a nagging feeling to get home.

She was asleep when I got home. Trying to remain calm, I woke her and the vomiting ensued. Called the doc, made an appointment for the next hour and, yes, more vomiting. But..... this time, her hair moved a smidge and I saw all the swelling in her temple. She hit the back of her head so why is her temple so swollen? I called for an ambulance, which my little girl was able to walk into on her own. A few blocks from Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo and her pulse dropped way low.

Her stats were checked immediately upon arrival and we were seen right away. Doc checked her eyes, we were looking for her bump where she hit and he walked out. My mom was with us and she decided to get some air. I was trying to keep my daughter awake. A few minutes pass and a nurse came running in the room and started checking Mya, who, at this point, could not keep her eyes open. Nurse then starts shouting for the doctor because "things don't look good." Ok Heather, really, try not to panic.

Mya is taken for a CAT scan and I'm informed we will be going to a different room when we get back to the emergency room. The nightmare begins.

I've never really had experience with hospitals (except for giving birth) or emergency rooms, for that matter. So when we arrive in the "different room" and my little girl is being treated by a dozen doctors and clothes being cut off her and medical terms being thrown about like an episode of ER, I'm guessing the room spinning and getting fuzzy is normal. Now I can really start to panic, right?

I was informed that my daughter had a lot of bleeding on the right side of her brain and she would have to undergo emergency surgery. I was also told it may have to be done right there any minute if the operating room wasn't ready in enough time. Then those awful, awful words, "Would you like us to call your pastor?"

Mya at this point was in and out of consciousness, had tubes everywhere, and was taken up for surgery. She was done in an hour and the neurosurgeon said her bleeding was between the skull and lining of the brain so we were very lucky. She was also speaking and moving which we were thrilled to hear, since paralysis was a concern.

She was a little diva in ICU and we were only in the hospital for 4 days. Many wonderful visitors and the blessings and prayers poured in from many. Mya has now made a full recovery and cleared for all activity with the exception of contact sports.

It's funny how being a Mom allows you to put your fears aside and try to be strong for your child. I think I held myself together in the beginning. Now, I cry just typing this story.

Sharing our story is therapeutic for me but I want you to get the bigger picture. I watched my daughter slipping away because she did not have her helmet on. This was an injury that could have been prevented.

I've had heard the same line from many parents and I get upset. "I can't get my child to wear his/her helmet." Who is the parent? No helmet, no ride is the motto in our house. If it has wheels, protect your noodle. Common sense, don't ya think? I hate to envision what the outcome could have been for Mya. I do not wish this on anyone. Please, please make sure the noggin is protected! :)

Heather


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

9 comments:

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

Yes, that was a very scary time, I remember it well. Thank you for writing your thoughts, I hope that parents will see this and see that their children wear their helmets!!!
God blessed your family that day!
Hugs~
Cindy

Chris Huff said...

Ugh, I hate that you and she and your family had to go through that, but am so glad she is ok! Teryn never rides her bike without her helmet. xo

smiss00.artfire.com said...

So hard sometimes, cause kids think they are so invincible! If I had a nickle for every time my stepdaughter said to be "I'LL BE FINE/I WON'T GET HURT" in response to telling her to use precaution, and moments before the ensuing injury... Of course, we haven't had anything this bad... Thankfully.

I'm so glad Mya is doing well!

CraftingWit said...

Thank you Heather. This post is INCREDIBLY moving, and I remember that time so well, when we all stopped and were praying so hard for you and Mya. I now insist that no matter what, when Da Boys are on their scooters, or trikes, they wear their helmets!

Rogue de Plume said...

I remember what an awful time that was. Helmets are a hard and fast rule in our house, and when this happened, I made sure to tell my oldest so he knew *why* we had that rule.

Chris said...

I remember this as it was yesterday. I have made my oldest wear a helmet on her scooter.

Bippity Boppity Glue said...

I think about his every day. Every day I close my eyes, hear the hospital's name, see a skateboard, etc... I see my daughter in that emergency room. But I also remember the overwhelmingly support from all of my Plurkies :) Thank you so very much for helping me share this story and spread the word. xoxoxoxoxo

Debbi Andersen said...

We were not friends when this happened but you just brought tears to my eyes reading it - I can not even imagine what you were going through!! I am so glad that Mya is healed and I Hope your story inspires other mothers to INSIST on their children wearing helmets!!

Bippity Boppity Glue said...

Thanks so much, Debbi! It was definitely an emotional ordeal and I am more emotional now than I was a year ago. I just pray that the reason my child was hurt was to help another child.

Post a Comment